Braised Pork Belly on Hawaiian Tostones
• 2 lbs. pork belly
• 12 ea. TIO JORGE® Hawaiian Tostones
• 1 qt. mojo criollo marinade
• 1 lg. yellow onion
• 4 slices bacon
• 4 tbsp. unsalted butter
• 4 oz. dark brown sugar
• 4 oz. red wine vinegar
• 2 tbsp. Italian balsamic vinegar
• 2 oz. sriracha sauce
• 4 oz. premium mayonnaise
• 1 oz. key lime juice
• desired garnish
1. Trim pork belly of any excess rind not desired.
2. Place pork belly in a non-reactive container and cover with half of mojo marinade.
3. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 24 -36 hours.
4. Remove pork belly from marinade, pat dry with paper towel.
5. Pan sear belly on both sides in a heavy bottom skillet or Dutch oven.
6. Pour remaining mojo over seared pork belly.
7. Cover and braise in a 300* oven for 3 hours.
8. Remove belly and refrigerate.
9. Reserve braising liquid for plating.
10. Reduce reserved braising liquid until syrup like consistency is achieved.
1. Render bacon in a heavy bottom skillet until just short of crisp.
2. Remove bacon and drain off excess fat.
3. In the same skillet add finely sliced onion and cook until translucent.
4. Deglaze pan with red wine vinegar.
5. Add butter and brown sugar to onions and cook slowly until syrupy.
6. Add bacon back to pan along with balsamic vinegar.
7. Mixture should have the consistency of marmalade. Reserve mixture for plating.
1. Combine sriracha, mayo and lime juice. Reserve for plating.
2. Cut braised belly in small pieces 1” by 1” approximately.
3. Fry tostones until crisp. At the same time fry the braised belly until edges crisp.
4. Place drained tostones on plate, top with bacon/onion marmalade.
5. Place crispy belly over marmalade.
6. Spoon reserved braising liquid in desired pattern on plate.
7. Drizzle sriracha sauce over belly.
8. Garnish with lime, green onion and red pepper. Enjoy!